Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First Day

I woke up at 5:00 this morning. I was so excited. Today was the first day of school.

I wore a new tie today. A tie featuring cartoon characters. It was a gift from my son’s K4 class last year when I went in and read to the class. Blueberries for Sal. A great book for children.

I do not think that anyone noticed my tie today. But it made me happy to wear it. The bright colors. And the fact that my son’s class gave it to me.

After a brief meeting with all of the students in the auditorium, we met in our homerooms – I have the 9th and 10th graders, then resumed a regular schedule.

In all, I met with four of my six academic classes: physical science, chemistry, Bible, and life science. Junior high social studies (Pennsylvania history and geography of the western hemisphere) and biology will meet tomorrow.

My classes range in size from ten in biology to 35 in junior high social studies.

Each class period today consisted of arranging the students according to my seating plan, distributing and explaining the 1st quarter syllabus, distributing and surveying the textbooks.

I assigned homework in a few of my classes. After school, I discovered that I was probably the only teacher that gave homework – at least, that is what my daughter said. I am feeling a bit guilty. Not really.

I just got off the phone with a good friend from Georgia. We taught together for six years. We were the middle school science department. Ours is one of those rare friendships that perseveres through time and distance.

We were discussing the fact that I had six preps and he has only one – he teaches four periods of physical science. While my schedule provides for great variety each day, his requires much less preparation time. Both schedules have their benefits and liabilities.

One day has passed. 179 remain in this school year. I am determined to make the most of each day.

No comments: